Wednesday, December 1, 2010

An Update For my Readers

Aloha and Happy Holidays.

It is now three months and eleven days post injury and believe it or not I'm still non weight bearing!  The substandard care I received in France, and especially putting me through two surgeries within two days of one another, resulted in a condition called "reflex sympathy dystrophy," a condition resulting in a need for much longer periods of therapy and retraining.

I'm currently working with a personal trainer and she's having a more positive outcome on my recovery than the physical therapist from my health plan who gave me simple exercises that I can do on my own.  My trainer has me on machines that are rebuilding my leg, stomach and back muscles from sitting for so long, as well as stretching to get that right ankle mobile again.

The bad news is that my doctor has adjusted my recovery period from six months to one year and possible two.

I remain in good spirits and am working hard with the goal in mind of rising from this wheelchair.

I hope to be blogging on some vacation spots this time next year, so stay tuned!

Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka!

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Lennie,

    Happy New Year! 2011 will be your year of recovery! You are heading in the right direction with your personal trainer. Years ago I had to recover from ACL surgery on my knee from a skiing accident and physical therapy was so important. Now, I don't even think of my injury. You will be as good as new soon! And with the beautiful weather in Hawaii (I'm so jealous!) and your wonderful husband helping you (what a guy!) I can't think of a better place to recover.

    Bonne Chance and Bisou, Bisou!
    Good Luck and Kiss, Kiss!
    Let us know how you are.
    Lille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha and Bonjour! You are so right about the trainer, I'm beginning to improve markedly and am no longer wheelchair bound, since moving to a walker and now a cane. I see rapid improvement and my physician has praised my decision to take over my care. He has placed me in a shorter walking boot and prescribed massage, advising me to wear the boot another five months, with therapy continuing for nearly a year. It's wonderful to be up and about again! You have inspired me with your ACL history as I'm so aware of how serious that injury is as well.
    Happy New Year to you, too. Lennie

    ReplyDelete